Monday, July 26, 2010

Remembering Our Loved Ones



So many family members are unable to be with us on our wedding day, despite how much they would have loved to attend. We would like to remember them on our special day, without making it seem like a memorial service. We have come up with the following ideas:

First, my bridal bouquet will look something like the one above. Of course, as Matt has already pointed out, I need pink flowers, not white (I am well aware that white is traditional. I am not a traditional bride). That said, I love the brooch bouquet aspect of the one that is shown, and the main focus is on the ribbon in the middle that will be holding my father's wedding ring. This is meant to symbolize that he is with me as I walk down the aisle.

Second, the ring bearer will hold a homemade "copy" of Last of the Mohicans with our rings placed inside. As a future librarian, I love the book idea. It is also a nod to Cooperstown and its namesake. But most importantly, this is my father's favorite book. And so it only makes sense to use this one.

Third, the cake topper is my grandparents'.

Fourth, each bridesmaid, in addition to their bouquet, will carry a white rose which they will place in an antique vase as they take their place at the front of the reception. These flowers are meant to symbolize those who cannot be at our wedding. Nothing will be said about this at the ceremony, but we will say something tasteful in the program.

Finally, our favors will be mini bookmarks. On the front will be our engagement photos. The back will say something to effect of, "to show our thanks to you for sharing this special day with us, we have made a donation to the We Move Organization, in loving memory of Richard Haan, father of the bride.
Mr. and Mrs. DeCarr
Oct. 9, 2011"

No comments:

Post a Comment