Wednesday, November 17, 2010

DIY Wedding Postcards



This is by far my favorite DIY project. It is also the most complicated and vexing project as of yet. I typically begin my projects with hours of online research - what did brides do before the internet? Once I have found two or three basic ideas I like, I try to combine them and put my own spin on them. However, what we are using this project for seems to have not been done before. Or if it has, no one felt the need to write about it. At all.

I am finding that one of the most difficult aspects of DIY projects is that unless you are going to copy someone else's project, you cannot know how something is going to turn out until you try it. At this point, a lot of time and money has been invested in something that may or may not look how you envisioned it. I like to think of myself as a laid-back, carefree person, but unfortunately, I have expensive envisionments. I expect high quality, but do not believe you need to pay a premium to get it. I enjoy doing things for myself, and love the personal touch it adds.

As far as my research into DIY photo postcards go, there are a few options. I can opt to spend $100+ and get them done through an online retailer. However, I want matte photos, and the only option available seems to be a glossy finish. Strike one.
I could have them printed at Staples for about $50, and then cut them myself. Problem? A month of looking for special wedding fonts has left me with great fonts, that unfortunately Staples does not have access to. Strike two.

The most promising template was found on Martha Stewart weddings. Printing photos at home on thick cardstock, cut out using deckle-edge scissors and use a stamp on the back to create your own postcard design. I immediately gathered the necessary supplies and set to work.



Initially, I was upset with the weight of the cardstock. I bought white 110lb cardstock, and after running it through my printer, it seemed pretty flimsy. Of course, once I let the ink dry overnight, the paper thickened right back up. However, it is still a bit thinner than I had expected. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the deckle-edge scissors. While it creates a wonderful vintage look, it also creates multiple ways for the postcards to easily stick together, which may cause problems for guests.

Another option is to purchase 4x6 matte photo paper. The edge will not be as pretty, but then again, this is a vintage meets modern wedding, and the clean lines may add that modern touch. Also, the cardstock will be thicker. My one problem at this point is: will the paper be too thick to run through my printer?

No comments:

Post a Comment