Friday, August 6, 2010

The Ring Bearer



I've always thought it was strange that the ring bearer brought the rings down the aisle on a pillow. What is the purpose? The rings aren't going to bed. No one is going to use the pillow afterwards, it's too small! Why a pillow? Who thought of this idea first?

Well, being the research librarian I am, I needed to find this out. And so I did.

The tradition actually comes from ancient Egypt, where jewelry was displayed on ornamental pillows. When Europeans came to Egypt they saw this and took the idea back with them. As the exchange of rings became popular at weddings, the idea of the ring bearer (and pillow) were born.

I'm not one to do something just for the sake of tradition, unless of course it's a family tradition that has been done for generations. In this case, it's not.

I saw the book idea in my Martha Stewart Weddings magazine, and instantly fell in love. The idea is to take a blank journal and print a cover of a classic book, so the journal looks like a book and in turn no actual books are ruined. A small hole is cut into the pages of the journal to place the rings in for safe keeping.

We thought it would be nice to use a book written by a local author. We instantly thought of James Fenimore Cooper. Last of the Mohicans may not be a very romantic, wedding-related story, but it was one of my dad's favorites, and Matthew loves the story as well!

This idea is of course contigent upon actually having a ring bearer, so this may become a last minute project. But it is one I am looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment