Monday, August 23, 2010

Boxes of Cards



This is something I had completely forgotten about. Where on earth are people going to put cards for us? There are so many options! Baskets, boxes, 3-tier faux wedding cakes...where does one begin?

The purpose. All it needs to be is something that will hold cards from our guests. It can either be purchased from a seller on etsy (such as the photo at the top), or we can add it to the ever-growing DIY list of projects. While it seems like a fun addition, do I really want to take on a project like this? It's something that I would really like to look perfect, and I'm not sure I trust myself enough to do that good a job on it. Especially with all the other more important things I need to be focusing on (like the invitations!)

If we are going to purchase a card box, I would really like for it to be something we can use in the following years. I would hate to spend $75-$100 on something that I will never use again! This brings us to the many different options we have for appearance...

The photo at the top features the most simplistic looking one. This is from a seller on etsy, with a price tag of $69 plus shipping. What I really like is that it does not open without a great deal of effort, and it is closed at the top, making it difficult for hotel guests who are not involved in the wedding to help themselves. I'm not sure how necessary that is though, with the gift table located inside the ballroom.



Another option is the birdcage. This is increasingly becoming a popular option among modern brides. At first glance, I wasn't entirely crazy about this idea. But the more I look, the more I find myself liking it. But again, it is not something I would see us using in the future.



Here is an option I am loving from Pottery Barn. The red footed bowl at the top of the photo is from their fall harvest collection, so I feel it is only going to be available for a short period of time. It has a price tag of $59, but is something we could easily reuse, either to showcase fresh flowers, or fall fruits. It is something different, and I am fairly certain not too many other brides have done something like this before.



Here is yet another option. Not necessarily this exact one, but it is an idea. It is meant to look like a wedding cake. This is the DIY option. Hopefully this shows you why I am so apprehensive toward taking this on! It seems like the cheaper option, but is it really? By the time all the supplies are purchased, I probably will have spent about $50, making the first option look very tempting!



Or, we can stick with something simple like this. I actually like this option the most, and it is definitely something we would reuse, I just wish it were more modern looking, and less country. This is an option I'll need to look more closely into.

What I would really like is to start searching local antique stores for a vintage basket that is not so "rustic" looking, since the rest of the wedding doesn't have that feel to it.

I'd love to see photos of what other Otesaga brides have done. Perhaps that is something Brooke Tallman (our wedding planner) can produce for me.

So much to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment