Thursday, September 2, 2010

Vintage Leaf Holders

Today I did a test-run of my DIY leaf cones for the ceremony recessional toss. It is quite the ordeal! I think prior to doing any of these for real, I should contact the wedding coordinator at the Otesaga and be sure that the leaf toss is even a possibility. After all, someone is going to have to clean all this up!

Anyway, here is how I did it:

I placed a doily on a cookie sheet, and made a pot of tea. Taking the tea bag, I ran it back and forth over the doily, coating it in tea. Here is how it looked:



I then let the doily dry. It came out looking like this:



I'm quite happy with the outcome. They look very vintage, and the tea-color coordinates with the rich fall leaves much better than the stark white. While this is a very time-consuming project (especially for someone in a one-bedroom apartment who can only make 2 doilies at a time), I think in the end the look will make it well worth the effort.

One important thing to remember for fellow DIY-er brides out there wanting to take this project on: stick with the 10" doilies! The 8" ones are too snug and hold onto the leaves quite well, making it impossible for them to fall out when they are tossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment