Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thank You for Coming!

Our favors have finally arrived! We had debated about this for months. What should our favors be? Peas in a pod salt and pepper shakers? Wine stoppers? Coasters? Plants? Chocolate? There was just an endless supply of possibilities, and we weren't exactly crazy about any of them.

Unless it's edible, people are going to leave them behind. A CD of our favorite songs? Great for us, but unless you have the same musical tastes as we do, what are you going to do with it? Throw it out or leave it behind. The same goes for picture frames with our wedding date on them, coasters containing pictures of us, the list goes on and on.

I'm not trying to be cynical, I'm simply trying to get the most out of our investment.

We finally decided on two favors: bird-shaped homemade sugar cookies (to accompany our vintage theme and celebrate a family of bakers) and a donation to the We Move Organization, in honor of my father who passed away 3 years ago.

The sugar cookies were, admittedly, a last-minute add-on. I really wanted something edible to be included, and I really wanted to make them myself. We are having a birdcage for our card holder, and birds on our guest book, so it made sense to tie in the bird theme in just one more area. Plus, I love baking sugar cookies.

The donation was tricky; how were we going to let people know?

One day I came across a great idea - mini bookmarks! One side would have our engagement photos on them, and the other side would let our guests know about the donation. And so the research began.

I decided I needed ribbon and eyelets to make a more complete "bookmark" look. The perfect ones were found at paper-source.com. I didn't have to wait long - my package came in t-minus two days! I highly recommend them to any other DIY brides out there.



While the eyelets themselves were only $1.50 per package, in order to use them I also needed a very small hole punch and an eyelet setter. Before I knew it I had spent $25, but just look at the cuteness it produced!


(these are mini cards bought on moo.com - a bit small, but nice and thick!)





(Max loves to help with all my DIY projects!)

No comments:

Post a Comment